Friday 27 June 2014

Abuja blast victims recount ordeal


L-R: Sulaiman Ademola, Donald Tyokasi, Junaid Olatunji


As he(bomber) bent his head towards his Sienna, I told my friend that we should get away from there. Within a few seconds, there was an explosion …. I saw many corpses on the ground. Heads, hands and legs littered   everywhere–Ademola
 On that fateful day, I just crossed over to buy corn …. Within seconds after I left that point, I heard a big bang and found myself on the ground.   My right leg   was affected.   Presently, I can’t stand with it
– Tyokasi
 I thought   my head had been blown off by the blast. I touched my head while on the ground and realised that it was there. I stood up and was looking for help, but help didn’t come immediately
–Olatunji
 Some of the hospitalised victims of the Emab Plaza explosion in Abuja on Thursday recounted their experience and   thanked God for sparing their lives. The explosion had happened on Wednesday.
The victims, who spoke with   our correspondent at the Maitama District Hospital, were  students, a fashion designer   and a vendor.
They gave their names as – Donald Tyokasi, Sulaiman Ademola, Junaid Taofeek Olatunji and Michael Ojeh.

Ojeh’s mother, who was also in the hospital, said the whereabouts of her husband who was at the scene of the blast were still unknown as of 5pm on Thursday.
Bomber pretended to be drunk –Tyokasi
Tyokasi, a 22-year-old student of the National Open University of Nigeria, said,   “I am   studying Business Entrepreneurship and Management.
“On that fateful day, I just crossed over to buy corn   because I was a bit hungry. I bought the corn   but when I turned back, I saw the   man (bomber) driving a Toyota Sienna and   trying to get into the plaza through the exit gate. The security men told him to go back and follow the right way but he was behaving as if he was drunk.
“Within seconds after I left that point, I heard a big bang and found myself on the ground.   My right leg   was affected.   Presently, I can’t stand with it.
 I saw corpses everywhere – Ademola
Twenty four –year-old Ademola, who is a fashion designer, also said the bomber   insisted on going into the Plaza through the exit gate.
He added, “When he (bomber) was challenged by the security men at the exit gate, he insisted on going ahead. As he bent his head towards the Sienna that he was driving,   I told my friend that we should get away from there.
“Within a few seconds, there was an explosion. Many people died and that is why I give thanks to Almighty God. I saw many corpses on the ground. Heads, hands and legs littered   everywhere.
 I thought my head was blown off
–Olatunji
Olatunji, a     student of Biology/Integrated Science at the Federal College of Education, Kontangora, Niger State, said he arrived in Abuja from Oyo State on Wednesday only to be welcomed by   the blast.
He said, “I came from Oyo State yesterday (Wednesday) to hussle   and make some money for my school fees before the end of the strike by Polytechnics and colleges of education   workers.
“As a casual staff with Glo, I normally get   Sim cards to sell and make some money. The incident happened when we were going to the mosque to observe the 4pm prayer. On our way, we saw some people arguing and they didn’t allow a car to enter   the plaza.
“As the argument continued, I heard an explosion and immediately, I saw human flesh and bones littering everywhere.   I was confused and I din’t know what I was doing again. I thought   my head had been blown off by the blast. I touched my head while on the ground and realised that it was there. I stood up and was looking for help, but help didn’t come immediately.
The bomber bought newspaper from me –Ojeh
Nineteen -year-old   Ojeh said the bomber first bought a newspaper from him and asked irrelevant questions before leaving to enter his vehicle.
“One man wearing caftan came to buy a newspaper from me and was asking me irrelevant questions.   Even when I wanted to give him his change, he wasn’t ready to collect it. He kept asking me irrelevant questions. If I answer him, he would laugh and ask another question. Afterwards, he left and entered his vehicle close to the exit gate of the plaza. It was not long after he left that   there was an explosion and I saw myself on the road before the police came .”
I’m still searching for my husband –Uche Ojeh
Mrs Ojeh, who is Micheal’s mother ,   said she was still searching for her husband, Rufus.
She said, “My husband   left home around 5 am on Thursday.   My son, Michael   helps someone to sell newspapers by the plaza.
“I have seen my son but I have not seen my husband. My son told me he saw his father as he went to pick a passenger. He gave Michael some money and said after dropping off the passenger, he would   go and watch the Nigeria- Argentina World Cup   match   at home.
“He wanted Michael to follow him but the boy said no. Micheal said a man who came to buy newspaper was using delay tactics by asking him questions and immediately he (bomber) left, the bomb exploded. The blood of the bomber was all over my son’s   body. As I talk to you now, I don’t know where my husband is. We are still searching for him.
Meanwhile, the remains of the New Telegraph’s Managing Editor (Northern Operations), Mallam Suleiman Bisalla, were laid to rest on Thursday in Abuja according to Islamic rites.
As soon as the necessary documentations were made and family got clearance from the police, the body of the deceased was released from the morgue of the MDH to his family.
The corpse was conveyed in a motorcade to the National Mosque, Abuja where a prayer   session was observed by Muslim faithful.
The interment took place at the Gudu Cemetry amidst prayers and encomiums.
The brief ceremony attracted a large crowd of family members, journalists, politicians and other well-wishers.
Among dignitaries that graced the ceremony were a former Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ibrahim Mantu; an ex-Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; a former Minister of State (Health), Dr. Idi Hong; the National President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Mr. Mohammed Garuba; and the Chairman of NUJ, Abuja Council,   Mr Chucks Ehirim.

No comments:

Post a Comment