
Dr. Ona Ekhomu
Security experts have described the N50m reward for information offered by the Nigeria Police as medicine after death.
The President of Association of
Industrial Security and Safety Operators of Nigeria, Dr. Ona Ekhomu,
stated that reward for information could be a good idea but that it came
late.
“Sometimes, it does help. There could be a
mole within the group but the fear of being arrested may prevent such
individual from giving information. A third-party who has relevant
information can easily do that,” Dr. Ekhomu explained.
He, however, added that the request for
information did not come at the right time. “The Nigeria Police’s
response to the abduction of the schoolgirls is absolutely inept and
irresponsible. It is medicine after death. The security outfit waited
till there was a rise in global concern prompted by media action weeks
after the abduction. It is an effort too little, too late,” he said.
Similarly, a security consultant at
Frontier Guards Services, Mr. Simon Udie, while commending the police
for coming to the public for information that can lead to the rescuing
of the abducted schoolgirls in Bornu State, told Sunday Punch that the force lacked credibility.
“It may suggest that the Nigerian police
have exhausted all within their capacity. But what have they done?
Nothing. They hide information when they ought to share with the public.
They should know how to make certain aspects of their investigations
known to the public. They should have made available nationwide
investigation desks where citizens can volunteer information unhindered.
“It shouldn’t be the regular police story
where someone who volunteers to give information soon becomes the
accused. There’s no confidence in the Nigerian police; confidence should
be restored. ,” Udie said.
Similarly, certified protection officer
and security analyst at HJ Supranumedia, Mr. Segun Elijah, described the
effort of the police in requesting for information as half-hearted.
“I think the Nigeria police is just
trying to show they are working –belatedly, though. A prompt response
based on sound risk management should have been activated immediately
after the Chibok abduction.”
Speaking further, he said, “Instead of
throwing bounties around now, they should find a way of broaching a
negotiation for the release of the girls. That’s one aspect of security
that hasn’t been employed in Nigeria’s counter-terrorism efforts.
Remember armed rescue operations mostly lead to the death of the
hostages.
“Many will remember the Nigeria-British
rescue operation in 2012 first led to the death of some foreigners Boko
Haram took hostage then.”
Last week, the Police High Command had
offered a cash reward of N50m to anyone who would volunteer credible
information that would lead to the location and rescue of the over 200
schoolgirls abducted from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok,
Borno State.
“While calling on the general public to
be part of the solution to the present security challenge, the Police
High Command also reassures all citizens that any information given
would be treated anonymously and with utmost confidentiality,” the
Police Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, said.
The Force appealed to
everyone with such useful information to contact the following numbers:
09-2914649, 08081777309, 08055547536, 08032125050, 08034617591, and
08035969731.
No comments:
Post a Comment