
Interim National Chairman, All Progressive Congress, Chief Bisi Akande
The
All Progressives Congress on Sunday asked President Goodluck Jonathan
to stop blaming Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State for the
abduction of over 200 girls from the Government Secondary School,
Chibok on April 14.
Speaking during a news conference in
Lagos, the Interim National Chairman of the APC, Chief Bisi Akande,
said Jonathan must take full responsibility for the safety of lives
and property in the country, especially in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa
states, where there is an emergency rule.
But the Peoples Democratic Party
berated APC chiefs , saying they were still playing politics with the
nation’s security problems when other Nigerians had displayed a great
“show of solidarity” in support of efforts to rescue the
schoolgirls.
Akande however said the Jonathan
administration had been found wanting in its handling of the abduction
saga and the continued killings and maiming of Nigerians by Boko Haram
insurgents.
He said, “Today(Sunday), we call on
President Jonathan to earn his epaulette as the Commander-in-Chief and
stop passing the buck. We remind him that as the Chief Security Officer
of the nation, he cannot and must not pass the buck.
“We remind him that having imposed
emergency rule on Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, he has assumed full
responsibility for the security of lives and property in those states,
and that it is disingenuous of him to point accusing fingers at the
governors of those states, who cannot even move around their states
freely without clearance.
“Even without the Boko Haram crisis, the
nation ran itself as if on auto-pilot. The Jonathan administration did
little and depended on the ingenuity of the Nigerian people to fend for
themselves and cover up governmental shortcomings.
“However, a crisis has come which no
amount of private ingenuity can resolve. Only government can answer this
call. The time has come for strategy and action. The time has come but
government has been found sorely wanting.”
According to the APC Interim National
chairman, Nigeria has degenerated to the level of suffering more
violence and destruction than countries that are formally at war.
He said the nation was in dire need of a bold, coherent, sincere and focused leadership.
Akande condemned Jonathan for making his first official response to the abduction of the girls 19 days after it occurred.
He said his administration was in
denial, believing the girls were not kidnapped and that the whole
abduction story was choreographed to embarrass him and dim his chances
for re-election in 2015.
Akande also condemned the President’s wife, Patience for summoning and interrogating state officials.
Describing her actions as
unconstitutional, he said it was unfortunate that the PDP kept quiet,
while the world showed concern for the abducted girls.
He also renewed APC’s call on the
National Assembly to probe how the huge allocations for security in the
recent years had been spent, and find out whether soldiers were
properly equipped.
Akande presented the party’s suggestions on how insurgency in the country could be halted.
The APC, according to him, wants the
Federal Government to develop and publish a counter-terrorism
strategy; build a new intelligence gathering infrastructure; improve
intelligence and contingency planning; and pursue and align military
with political (negotiated) solutions.
Others are a de-radicalisation of the
North; regionalising response to insurgency; employing effective
information management and strategic communication, an economic
development plan for the North; and involvement of civilian
peace-building organisations.
But the PDP, in a statement on Sunday
by its National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, condemned
some APC members for “seeking political capital out of the pains of the
missing schoolgirls.”
It said, “ It is troubling that at a
time when all people of goodwill and good sense now speak unequivocally
against terrorism in our land, some in the APC still persists in seeking
political capital out of the pains of the missing schoolgirls or other
incidents of terrorism.
“This is not only shameful but
disgusting, disgraceful and distasteful. It is this gloating that has
made many doubt the sincerity of the APC in the fight against terrorism
in our country.”
The PDP added that its members
believed that the interest of the nation was more paramount and that
the welfare of Nigerians remained non-negotiable.
“Nigeria is bigger than any person or
group of persons. We shall therefore not relent but continue to guard
our unity and ensure that our determination to live in peace as one
people under God is not undermined in anyway whatsoever,” it added.
The PDP however saluted Nigerians for
what it termed their exceptional show of solidarity in support of
efforts to ensure the rescue of the abducted girls.
It said the cry of Nigerians over the
past few weeks had inspired a global response that would help to number
the days of the terrorists.
According to the ruling party, Nigerians
have not only demonstrated “our oneness but also our boldness and
determination to surge forward as a people to rescue our land from those
who aim to cow us and impose a reign of terror on our nation.”
The statement reads in part, “It is
clear that once we continue to show such unity and solidarity in all our
affairs, our nation will emerge stronger and ultimately take its
rightful place among the comity of nations.
“We note with joy, the change of
attitude on the part of some opposition leaders whose recent statements
indicate that they have realised the harm their past posture and
utterances caused the nation.”
No comments:
Post a Comment