
Gregory D. Thome
| credits: yaounde.usembassy.gov
| credits: yaounde.usembassy.gov
The
Chargé d’Affaires in the Embassy of the United States of America to
Cameroon, Gregory D. Thome, has ruled out the possibility of Boko Haram
hiding the abducted schoolgirls anywhere in Cameroon.
The US envoy said this while addressing
journalists in Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon after holding a meeting
with the Minister of External Relations, Pierre Moukoko Mbonjo.
One of the leading newspapers in Cameroon, Cameroon Tribune, posted this on its website on Sunday.
The report stated that the US envoy was
at the ministry to thank Cameroon for supporting efforts being made to
find the abducted girls.
Thome said, “I conveyed to the Minister
that President Barack Obama is personally very interested and deeply
offended by this terrible act that Boko Haram had done.
“We discussed the fact that there is really no evidence that the girls are in Cameroon.”
He assured Mbonjo that the US government
and its counterpart in Cameroon would collaborate in helping Nigeria
to come out of the throes of the Islamic militant group.
Earlier, a former United Kingdom Prime
Minister, Gordon Brown, had said the search for the abducted girls
should be shifted to Nigeria’s neighbouring countries including
Cameroon.
The former UK Prime Minister, who is the United Nations’ Special Envoy for Global Education, told the Cable News Network.
Brown said, “The search must be in Niger, Cameroon and Chad, to see if we can find information.”
The Pentagon had on Friday said the
girls had been split into groups without giving out detail of how they
arrived at the conclusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment