Sunday 13 April 2014

I’m on Facebook and Twitter — 81-year-old accountant


Joseph Babayemi
A one-time Controller of Finance in Lagos State, Mr. Joseph Babayemi,  81, shares his life story with GBENGA ADENIJI
Tell us about yourself
I was born on April 13, 1933. My father was a farmer while my mother was a trader. My dad died at 86 and my mother died at age 80. I did not start school early because I could not stretch my right hand over my head to touch my left ear early enough.  My parents told me that I didn’t start school until I was seven years when my hand touched my ear. I started primary school in St. Anne’s Catholic School, Abeokuta, Ogun State in 1940. After my primary education, I went to St.Leo’s Teacher’s Training College, Abeokuta. In those days, it was easy to get a job after leaving teacher’s training college. I was posted to St. Theresa’s Catholic School, Epe, Lagos, after I left the college. I was not married then. When I was at the college, I started a correspondence course to become a chartered secretary.  I didn’t finish because I later left Epe for Abeokuta. I left for a change of environment and that was when I got married. I got married in 1959 and we had a son. Within that period, my wife and I decided to travel to Britain for further studies. We were left with no choice than to leave our son behind.
How did your parents know your birth date?
My father was a catechist. He had a primary six certificate despite being a farmer. Besides, he wrote the date in a book and showed me when I grew up.
Where did you meet your wife?    
She was also a teacher at St. Theresa’s Catholic School, Epe. We met during an inter-house sports competition when she was a student at a teacher’s training college located close to Epe.

What courses did you both study in the UK?
I chose to study accountancy and my wife, Margaret, studied home science management. We were there for about seven years and gave birth to three children there. One of them is a lecturer in London; another is a medical doctor there while the third also teaches. I decided to return to Nigeria in 1968 because there was an emergency at home. I was to sit for an examination but I was not ready to stay in UK any longer because my elder brother died. I didn’t want to leave my parents all alone in Nigeria because he was the one taking care of them while I was away. I learnt that my parents had four children but I grew up knowing only my elder brother who passed on at the time I was in the UK. Before I travelled abroad, each time I asked my mother how many children she had, she would start weeping. I was confused and often begged her to stop crying. My brother died at age 47 and I reasoned that my late siblings must have died early.
Did you return to Nigeria with any certificate?
Yes, I returned with a Chartered Institute of Secretary certificate. When I settled down fully, I took the examination which I couldn’t wait to do in the UK. I once worked with a pharmaceutical company for three months. The demand for accountants was high and I later joined Cadbury Nigeria Plc. I worked there for two years before moving to Nestle as a chief accountant. I later decided that I needed a change. I enjoyed the place but felt I should move over to a federal agency. That was why I left Nestle for National Supply. The company was a multi-national importing rice and other goods. We were selling the products at reduced prices.  I worked there as controller of finance for three years before I joined the Lagos State Government. There was problem at a time at the National Supply which made the Federal Government  sack workers there arbitrarily. I was also sacked and that was what made me to go to Chief Obafemi Awolowo who knew my wife. Awolowo asked me if I wanted to sue the government for sacking me but I declined. Many of the workers were sacked through radio announcements. Chief Awolowo introduced me to the Lagos State Government and I was interviewed and offered the position of controller of finance. I worked there until I retired in 1999.
Which of the firms you worked for do you find most memorable?         
I would say it was National Supply because it was owned by the Federal Government. There was a lot to do because of the nature of the job and I had a great experience there.
How did you cope with your family during the civil war since you returned after it started?
 I left my family in Lagos but my parents were in Abeokuta. I recall a time I was going to visit my parents, we slept at Ota because the soldiers didn’t allow us to proceed. We all slept on our belongings till the next day when they allowed us to continue our journey.
Did you regret that you were unable to complete your studies abroad?
I didn’t really feel bad because my desire was to return home and take care of my parents. The death of my brother that was catering for them worried me so much that I was not ready to stay any longer there. My parents were so happy when I returned especially my mother who was all over me. She even wanted to carry me. My joy was that I was able to take care of them before their death. My presence really made them happy. I gave them my first salary as a teacher as it was customary then.
How was your wife able to adjust to the homecoming?
She did adjust well. But some years after our return, she took ill. She was admitted in the hospital but died unfortunately. I was so disturbed to the extent that I wore black ties for a whole year.  I didn’t know how it happened. I did that as a way of remembering her. She was so lovely and wonderful. We had two more children before her death.
Did you remarry?
My first wife died in 1977 and I remarried in 1979.
How did you meet your new wife?
We met in the church. We attend the same church.
Do you have any special meal?
I like rice. I can eat it three times in a day. I also like white yam flour. I stopped eating the black yam flour after I suffered gastroenteritis after taking it. It caused me to defecate many times and since then, I stopped taking it.
What kind of exercise do you do?
I like taking a stroll. There was something that occurred when I was 70. I was taking a stroll in the evening in the neighbourhood without noticing a manhole. I fell into it and people had to come to my rescue. I was flown abroad for treatment because it was serious. Since then, I try to be careful. But anytime I am in the UK, I jog and do all forms of exercises.
Do you smoke?
I was smoking tobacco when I was a student in the UK. But I stopped it when I got to Nigeria.
Why?            
I was told that I could get cancer if I continued to smoke. I did not want to go through the experience cancer patients go through so felt it was better for me to quit the habit.
Do you use any gadget?
Yes, I use iPad and laptops. I use them to communicate with my children abroad. I also use the social media. I am on Facebook and Twitter.
What do you do on Facebook?
I read funny things posted by my Facebook friends and I reply them too. I have 94 friends on Facebook who I frequently communicate with.
What is the secret of your good health?
The first one is rest of mind. I have peace around me. My wife, Roseline is also peaceful. And I don’t begrudge anybody. I forgive anybody who offends me. If anybody offends me I will draw their attention to it and resolve the issues amicably.
Why did you dump teaching for accountancy?
I have always wanted to do a course that is accountancy-related. My interest in teaching was because I was professionally trained.  It was because I wanted to be an accountant that I left the school to study abroad.
At 81, do you have any regrets?    
I have no regrets.  There is no reason for me to have any regrets because I didn’t even think I would live up to 80. At 81, I feel great. I thank God that I have lived this far. I thank Him for keeping me and my family thus far.
What have you been doing in retirement?
I am a church warden in my church. I used to join my other colleagues to welcome visitors and attend to the needs of worshippers. But with my age, I don’t do physical activities. I still wear my ceremonial attire and participate in group’s activities. But I mostly play an advisory role to members.
What books do you read?
I read newspapers, story books and the Bible. To be honest with you, it is the Bible I read most.
What kind of training did you give your children?
The first thing I taught them was to know God. When they were growing up, I used to organise lectures in the house to teach them how to be of good behaviour wherever they may be. I made them to take turns to pray and read the scriptures before they slept. They all know the Bible very well and I am happy for what they have all turned out to be with the help of God.
What is your advice to youths?
My advice to the youth is that they should know and fear God. It pays to know God. A youth who is God-fearing will do no harm to others; he or she will have peace of mind and love his neighbour. There is nothing that is as good as fearing God. One will have peace and feel secure.
Source: Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment