
L-R: Gaidam, Nyako and Shettima
President
Goodluck Jonathan is not contemplating the suspension of the governors
in the three Northern states currently under emergency rule,
investigation by The PUNCH has revealed.
Jonathan had on May 14, 2013 declared a
six-month state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states following
the increasing activities of members of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram.
He also sought and got the National
Assembly’s approval to extend the emergency rule in November 2013 for an
additional six-month period. The extension expires next month.
There had been media reports that a
decision to suspend the three governors – Murtala Nyako (Adamawa),
Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe), and Kashim Shettima (Borno) – to further allow
the emergency rule to work would be taken at a security meeting Jonathan
will hold at noon on Thursday (today) with the 36 state governors.
The meeting was shifted from Wednesday
because of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting to allow a full
day of heart-to-heart discussion on the security challenges facing the
country.
A top government source told our
correspondent on the condition of anonymity in Abuja that although the
desirability or otherwise of further extending the emergency rule in the
affected states would form part of discussion at today’s meeting, the
President has no plan to suspend the governors.
The source said suspending the governors
was not on the card because the President was aware that such was
against the spirit of the nation’s constitution.
He recalled that the decision of former
President Olusegun Obasanjo to suspend sitting governors in Plateau and
Ekiti states during his tenure was declared illegal by a court.
The source said, “The emergency rule
will end in May and not last Saturday as reported. I don’t know where
the information came from.
“I am also aware that some people are
going about saying the President will suspend the three governors. But I
say that is not true. Nothing of such is on the card.
“This President is aware that the 1999 Constitution does not empower him to suspend any governor.
“Obasanjo did it and it was declared illegal by the court though it was belated.
“If you look at the relevant sections of
the constitution, you will know that the President can declare a state
of emergency in all parts of the country.
Does that mean he will abdicate his office and hand over to a military man?”
Meanwhile, the President’s meeting with
the 36 state governors which will also be attended by security chiefs
and relevant ministers will now hold on Thursday (today) by 12noon at
the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Although no official reason was given for the postponement, The PUNCH gathered
that there were fears that if held after the FEC meeting,
participants might not have enough time to extensively discuss the
issues that would arise.
“The President wants a situation where
all issues relating to national security would be put on the table and
thrashed the same day. So he decided that the meeting should be held
tomorrow to give room for more time for discussion,” a top Presidency
source explained.
Also in Abuja on Wednesday, the
Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku, described recent comments
attributed to Governor Murtala Nyako of Adamawa State on security
challenges in the country, as highly irresponsible.
Maku said this while answering questions from State House correspondents after the FEC meeting.
Nyako had in a memo to his co-Northern
governors accused the Federal Government of carrying out genocide
against the North in its fight against insurgency.
But the minister said it was unfortunate
that such a statement could come from a person of the governor’s status
who had at a time served as the Chief of Naval Staff.
He said a lot of achievements could be made in the anti-terror war if highly-placed people learnt to keep their mouths shut.
Maku warned that unless stakeholders in
the North learned to act together, that part of the country would
continue to go down while other parts were being developed.
He said, “To hear the kind of things
being said by the governor of Adamawa State at this period is very
unfortunate. Nyako is a former CNS. He is someone that has worn uniform
before.
“For him to publicly incite the people
against the security forces of this country is the height of
irresponsibility. I believe that for someone like that who is old enough
to appreciate the kind of crisis this country is going through, we
expect that there should be greater understanding, politics aside.
“When people reach a certain age, they
should watch their utterances and the kind of things they are supposed
to say. Maybe for young people like you and me we can say lack
experience; but for people that have known the difficulty this country
is going through and the kind of effort that is being made by the
Federal Government to come out and make those statements that divide
the country is grossly irresponsible.
“We are expecting that as we move
forward, this nation will definitely defeat terror. This is a war by
criminals against the entire nation and they know that this crisis
originated at local levels.
“The responsibility of maintaining
vigilance was right down to the village, the government has links to
every hamlets and to every village to know what is happening.
“All those responsibilities have been
abandoned. People are not organising people to fight terror. The
challenge for all of us in the North is unless we act together, this
part of the country is going down and down, while the rest are
experiencing growth. And the responsibility of security must be taken
seriously.
“People grandstanding, people playing to
the gallery, people making inflammatory statements that divide public
opinion, that cause confusion, will appear to me as people that are
anti-Nigeria. This is the time we expect all our people to speak with
one voice, and speak with a voice that give our people hope that we the
leaders are united in finding a solution.
“Divisive statements must be condemned at this time and I think that we all have a responsibility to this country.
“Nigeria will surely overcome but we can do the job better with some people shutting up their mouths.”
On the 2014 Budget, Maku said he was not
in a position to confirm whether the budget had been transmitted to the
President or not.
He expressed the hope that there would
be no further delay in sending the budget to the President so that its
implementation could start in earnest.
No comments:
Post a Comment